The City of Lanett is governed by a Mayor and Elected Council Members from the city’s five districts. There are five council members elected from each of these districts which represent five votes with the Mayor’s vote counting as the sixth. This governing board is responsible for deciding the city’s policies and procedures by passing Resolutions and Municipal Ordinances resulting in the Municipal Code, all of which are implemented by the various City Departments. Each Department head reports to the City Manager who in turn reports to the Mayor, resulting in a organization which resembles many corporations. This helps eliminate bureaucracy and propagate issues to the top in an effective and efficient manner (known as a flat organization in the business community). Committees are solely used for finance, major projects and resource allocations while leaving the day to day operations managed in what has proven to be effective in virtually all successful corporations in our country.
Lanett was originally the Town of Bluffton, incorporated on December 7, 1865, when it received it’s charter from the Alabama Legislature. A new charter was sought from the state twenty eight years later. Bluffton had grown and citizens of the town deemed fit to change it’s name. The City of Lanett was founded on February 1, 1895 when a charter for the newly named City of Lanett was approved. Lanett was named after two local textile mill developers, Lafayette Lanier and Theodore Bennett.
When the Mayor and City Council for the City of Lanett adopt new ordinances, these ordinances must then be incorporated into the City’s Municipal Code book.
The mission of the City government is to foster community cooperation, innovation, and opportunity by providing quality services to Lanett residents and businesses in an efficient, effective, and economical manner